- Good measurement techniques are required to achieve accurate measurement values
- Accurate measurement values can only be ensured by using calibrated measuring instruments.
- Precision affects accuracy improving precision improves accuracy and vice versa
- As a result of this a very imprecise value could not be regarded as accurate
e.g to say the time is somewhere between 11:00 and 13:00 is too imprecise to be considered accurate even if the time was actually 12:00 (i.e. right at the centre of the uncertainty interval specified!)
- Even though improving precision improves accuracy thare is no point in working to high precision when the accuracy is limited by relatively large calibration offsets